Enabling the Intercom Messenger Chat Surveys requires assistance from the AskNicely support team. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like this feature.
Know Before You Go
- NPS is the only supported survey metric
- Automated Workflows will only work for Contacts that already exist within your Intercom instance
- Additional questions are not supported within Intercom Messenger surveys
With AskNicely's Intercom Messenger integration, you can trigger simple feedback surveys inside the Intercom Messenger window, granting you the ability to instantly capture the customer experience.
Connecting the AskNicely Messenger App for Intercom Messenger
The first step when installing the AskNicely Messenger App is to connect your AskNicely and Intercom accounts together. When you connect your accounts, we won't send any action immediately - you'll have a chance to make sure everything is ready to go before sending your surveys.
When in your Intercom account, select 'App Store' from the menu on the left, then 'Messenger Apps', and then 'AskNicely'. Choose the 'Install Now' option.
Choose 'Connect' from the screen that shows next.
Sign in to your AskNicely account.
Successfully connecting your accounts will take you back to Intercom.
Sending Surveys in Intercom Messenger
Now that the AskNicely Messenger App is installed you will be able to include an NPS survey in any message you send to customers in-app, including:
- One to one conversations in progress
- Manual messages
- Auto messages
An example would be scheduling an in-app message containing a survey to customers who meet the criteria "NPS-response last occurred more than 90 days ago" or "NPS-response count less than 3".
When composing the message, you can insert an app in the same way you'd insert an image or button.
The message is now ready to schedule or send.
What Customers See
Customers using your website that meet the criteria set when "Choosing your Audience" will see a survey like the example below.
The survey question, and feedback topics are set in AskNicely Survey Template, and the colors will be those set for your Intercom Messenger in Intercom.
Frequently Asked Questions
What's the difference between AskNicely's Intercom Integration and the Intercom Messenger App?
The main difference is how surveys are delivered: the Intercom Messenger integration delivers the survey *inside* of the Intercom Messenger chatbot; the regular Intercom integration delivers surveys via email, SMS, or Web Survey.
- The AskNicely Messenger App lets you schedule surveys using Intercom's powerful in-built filters and auto messaging, and is delivered inside the Messenger chat window.
- AskNicely's Intercom Integration lets you trigger NPS surveys based on your Intercom "segments", and sends the resulting scores and feedback into Intercom to be saved against the contact record. Surveys are deliverable via email, SMS, or Web Survey.
Can I use the Intercom Messenger App and the AskNicely Intercom Integration together?
- The Integration and the Messenger App are completely separate and can each be used on their own, or together.
How does AskNicely decide who gets what survey template?
- Survey templates are linked to customers by the defined Trigger Field and Custom Data for your customer.
Do my Send Schedulers or Global Contact Rule play a part in how many surveys can be sent via Intercom Messenger?
- No. The daily scheduler only controls email survey sends. Intercom Messenger surveys are triggered within Intercom using Intercom's in-built filters and messaging scheduler.
How can I limit how many Intercom Messenger surveys are sent?
- Those settings are made in your "Choose your Audience" selections. You can manually send a survey within Messenger as long as the Contact meets that configuration.
How will these results look in AskNicely? Will it match the Intercom Segment name?
- The NPS score and feedback results will look the same in AskNicely as those from emailed surveys. We do not currently add any custom data showing how a survey was sent.
If we don't have an email address for a customer, but send them a survey in Intercom Messenger, how will this work?
- In the field where the email address is normally shown, AskNicely will instead display their unique ID from Intercom. The customer will receive the survey in Intercom Messenger, but you will not have the opportunity for Follow-Up or Workflows within AskNicely.
Does this work on Mobile Applications?
- Unfortunately the Intercom Messenger App survey doesn't function correctly on mobile applications, specifically iOS devices. The customer will be able to choose a score and type in a comment, but when they click "finish" they get the spinning wheel of death. AskNicely will record their score on your account but no comment will pass through. Unfortunately there is nothing AskNicely can do to fix this as it is an Intercom issue with their functionality.
If a customer receives a survey in Intercom Messenger, and a workflow follow-up is triggered, how will this follow-up be sent?
- Workflows triggered in AskNicely are sent exclusively via email.
What happens when I manually send an AskNicely survey in Messenger to a user who's not imported into AskNicely?
- A new person will be created in AskNicely, however they will not have any custom data associated.
How can I filter results between Intercom Messenger app surveys and other sources (email surveys or website surveys)?
- If you are wanting to Report specifically on Intercom Messenger surveys, we suggest building a survey specifically for Intercom Messenger. You can then Filter results based on Survey Template or your Trigger Field.